Founded on the platform of being ‘a medium of social change’, the contribution and championing of social causes has become ingrained into the ethos of the Sakal Media Group, and has become central to the identity of the group itself. While the seeds of this spirit were planted by the founder of Sakal, Dr. N. B. Parulekar, it has been nurtured by the Chairman Pratap Pawar and Managing Director Abhijit Pawar.
Right from its inception, the Sakal Social Foundation (SSF) has been involved in activities contributing to the betterment of society. Always working in the spirit of ‘social first’, SSF has partnered with other organizations across various initiatives to ensure that the benefit is maximized.
SSF initiatives have a varied typology ranging from assistance during times of natural calamities, to supporting farmers in our agriculture-dependent economy, education, women’s issues as well as activities initiated to address urban concerns. The Sakal Media Group has promoted the Sakal Social Foundation (SSF), a 70 year old entity with a credible reputation across India and Maharashtra in particular.
BUILDING SOCIETY FOR A BETTER NATION
Right from its inception in 1932, Dr. Nanasaheb Parulekar, founder and editor of the daily newspaper laid emphasis on social issues. Today, the legacy is being carried forward by the modern day Sakal Media Group which has its presence in print, online and electronic media.
The Group launched its ‘Delivering Maharashtra Programme’ in 2013, with an attempt to make the state of Maharashtra drought free in the next five years. With a view to empower the women of Maharashtra, the Tanishka Forum was found among many other initiatives. Similarly, the highly popular Pune Bus Day event held on November 1, 2012 in Pune by Sakal underlined the Group’s social orientation and urge to work for the society. This year SSF organized the Sarv Jal Abhiyan – ‘Save Water’ campaign all over Maharashtra.
The Sakal Social Foundation(SSF) is an extended arm of the Sakal Philosophy and is an integral part of the Sakal Media Group. SSF was carved out as a special wing, dedicated towards addressing and resolving social issues.
The Sakal Media Group has also partnered with global organizations like the Red Cross Society, UNICEF, Governments, Semi–Government and Voluntary agencies. We also joined hands with various corporate organizations in implementing their CSR initiatives.
There are several drives revolving around children, women, youth, senior citizens and working professionals help in family building carried out by SSF. This foundation carves out exclusive micro and macro campaigns like guiding failed students towards success, creating awareness on student suicides, addressing environmental and civic issues etc.
Today, Sakal has earned enormous love and credibility for its dedicated journalism and social drives. It has evolved from being just being a newspaper to the status of being a social guardian for the society.
This year the Sakal Relief Fund will donate towards redevelopment of Malin village & rehabilitation in Jammu – Kashmir.
We envision a planet where happiness is nurtured by fulfilling the necessities in every sphere of human life.
We engage, inspire and enrich individuals, with values, joy and enhanced quality of life to become productive citizens, ethical leaders and positive contributors to our community, country and Global society.
CONSTANTLY COLLABORATING: We collaborate with each other across geographies, organizations and levels to achieve excellence for well rounded development.
ALWAYS ACCOUNTABLE: We are an ethical, transparent and accountable organization that manages stakeholder expectations and financial integrity.
BEST AND BRIGHTEST: By employing highly competent and energetic employees with varying backgrounds, cultures and ideas and by optimizing team spirit, we are building a dynamic high performance organization that delivers quality.
LISTEN & LEARN: By taking the time to understand, respect and respond to stakeholder evolving needs, we ensure strong relationships and positive outcome.
INHERENTLY INNOVATIVE: We are energized by the development of new solutions that improve social well being and cater to beneficiary needs.
HAVING FUN: We work with passion, act professionally and have FUN while we are doing it.
The principle object of the trust is to carry on charitable and social activities conducive to the secular character of the Indian Nation and to the advancement of national integrity, patriotism and upliftment of the society at large. Objectives of the Sakal Social Foundation:
- To carry on activities helpful to the society in general and to any individual or individuals, particularly in the field of medical , education, natural calamities and social awareness.
- To hold meetings, conferences, seminars and discussions on different and current social subjects.
- To organize public lectures, study camps, awareness raising campaigns, discussions, meetings, seminars, conferences, training sessions, exhibitions, etc. to undertake research on important issues related to the upliftment of poor and needy.
- Prevention of AIDS and other related diseases, social and economic empowerment, child labour etc. are some other areas being looked into by this foundation.
- To carry out development programmes in the urban and rural areas and collaborate with Government, Semi-Government and Non-Government organizations to provide financial help to needy people.
- To help other organizations run smoothly who are involved in social welfare activities. To conduct free seminars, courses, lectures etc in the field of research and education.
- To encourage and promote literacy. To run activities of Medical, Education, Cultural, Sports, Arts, Patriotism, Media sector study etc.
- To provide financial and non-financial assistance to those affected by natural calamities.
- To propagate life skills education in the children and youth.
“The credibility of the Sakal Media Group is such that with one clarion call from Sakal, society comes forward for help during disaster. Truly, the Sakal Group has become synonymous with social services and community building. It rises above journalism and extends to reach the neediest sections of society.” Shri Prataprao G. Pawar, Chairman, Sakal Media Group
“The Sakal Social Foundation is a naturally extended arm of the Sakal Philosophy. We believe in building and strengthening the community. We collaborate with the government to deliver various community development initiatives.”Mrs. Mrunalini Pawar, Director, Sakal Media Group